Financial Aid

Types of Aid | Process | Eligibility | Application Tips | FAQs | Disbursement | Net Price Calculator

Financial assistance programs are available for prospective students wishing to attend Meridian Technology Center. Students may be eligible for a variety of grants and scholarships including Pell Grants, Oklahoma Tuition Aid Grants and Veterans Benefits.

All financial assistance is based upon student need. Student need is defined as the difference between a family's expected financial contribution (EFC) and the total cost of attending Meridian Technology Center. For a personal assessment, contact the Financial Aid Officer at (405) 377-3333 to schedule an appointment. Appointments are available Monday – Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

After determining the financial assistance required by the student, Meridian Technology Center's Office of Financial Aid works with the student to identify available financial assistance.

To find out more, read through our online financial aid information or contact the Financial Aid Office at (405) 377-3333 or e-mail us. We will send you a detailed handbook of the financial aid process, including eligibility parameters and the application process.

More Information:

Office of Financial Aid
(405) 377-3333, ext. 298


Federal Pell Grant Program (Title IV Financial Aid) provides aid to which assistance from other federal and non-federal sources may be added. This is a grant and does not have to be repaid as long as satisfactory academic progress is met.

Oklahoma Tuition Aid Grant (OTAG) is a grant from the state of Oklahoma. Grant amounts are determined by enrollment status, demonstrated financial need to meet the cost of attendance and the availability of funds. The student must complete the Oklahoma residency section on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The student must be a resident of Oklahoma. The Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education will notify each recipient of his or her eligibility and award amount. Submission of the FAFSA serves as your application for these funds. These funds are limited; the priority application deadline is March 1 of each year. It is advisable to prepare your previous year’s income tax return as soon as possible and apply for FASFA early due to limited funding.

All students should apply for FASFA, even if they don’t think they will qualify. There is no charge for filing an application.

Oklahoma Higher Learning Access Program (OKLAHOMA'S PROMISE) is a unique program that provides scholarships equivalent to all or part of tuition expenses for students who complete the program’s requirements while in high school. Certain career majors at Meridian Technology Center are eligible for Oklahoma's Promise funding. Please advise the Financial Aid Office that you are an Oklahoma's Promise recipient at the time of enrollment to ensure the career major you enroll in qualifies for funding.

Federal Student Loans are not available.

Back to top


The Workforce Investment Act (WIA) is designed to assist individuals facing employment barriers or economic disadvantages or individuals who require additional training to secure productive employment. Eligibility is determined by a WIA counselor. Additional information is available by calling the Office of Workforce Investment at (405) 624-1450 or (888) 980-9675.

Vocational Rehabilitative Services assists individuals who are physically and/or mentally challenged/disabled. Eligibility is determined at the local office by a vocational rehabilitation counselor. Apply by contacting the local office at (405) 372-1995.

Veterans Educational Benefits provide a monthly allowance to assist eligible veterans in meeting education and living expenses while in training. Numerous programs are available for veterans who meet eligibility requirements under Chapters 30, 31, 32 or 34 and dependents of veterans eligible under Chapter 35 of Title 38 of the U.S. Code. Details and applications may be obtained by contacting the VA Regional Office, P.O. Box 888, Muskogee, OK 74402-8888 or by calling (888) 442-4551.

The Oklahoma GI Bill provides tuition-free training for individuals who received an honorable discharge from the armed services, served a minimum of 18 consecutive months in active duty between August 10, 1964, and December 31, 1976, still have entitlement, were a resident of Oklahoma at the time of entry as indicated on the DD-214 and accepted benefits from a vocational-technical school at least once during the first 15 years following an honorable discharge or release. Please contact the Financial Aid Office if you qualify for this assistance.

Tribal Grants may be available for Native Americans. Eligibility is determined by each tribal agency. Contact your appropriate tribal agency office for eligibility requirements and application procedures.

If an agency will be paying your tuition, fees, etc., it is your responsibility to bring a letter from that agency to the financial aid office.


Meridian Technology Center Foundation Scholarships are available for students who require supplemental assistance for tuition and/or book expenses. Qualifications include demonstrated financial need and ability to benefit from vocational education. The application is available through the Career Planning Center.

Otha Grimes/Francis Tuttle Memorial Scholarships are administered by the Oklahoma Foundation for Career and Technology Education. Student must be an adult enrolled in and making satisfactory progress in a career major at Meridian Technology Center. Student must exhibit an evident need for scholarship assistance. The financial aid office provides application information to students when applications are available.

Other scholarships are provided each year by numerous community and civic organizations. The Financial Aid Office will provide information to instructors to announce to students when those applications are available in the Career Planning Center.


Estimated books/supplies expenses for full-time adult programs in the medical field range from $500 to $1,500. Estimated books/supplies expenses for all other full-time post-secondary adult programs range from $50 to $900, depending on the career major of choice. Please review our tuition information.

Books and supplies charges are not included in tuition.

Back to top


Step 1. Apply for a Pin #

Apply for a pin number using a 4-digit number you will not forget (if you have never applied for FASFA online before). Keep your pin for future use. If you are required to include your parents’ income, one of your parents will also need a pin number, as that represents the electronic signatures.

Step 2. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

The FAFSA is used to apply for all types of federal aid. If you are an Oklahoma resident, you will also be considered for the Oklahoma Tuition Aid Grant (OTAG) program. This form is available beginning early February each year in the Financial Aid Office at Meridian Technology Center, as well as at most high school guidance offices, colleges and universities. An application can also be made online by completing the FAFSA. List Meridian Technology Center as a school you plan to attend. The Title IV school code is 012474.

Step 3. Submit the Completed FAFSA for processing in two ways:

  • Submit your FAFSA via the Internet at FAFSA
  • Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool. It would be helpful to have a copy of your (and your spouse’s or parents’) income tax forms (1040, 10401A or 1040EZ and W-2s) in front of you when you fill out the FAFSA on the Web. You are encouraged to print the confirmation page after you have submitted your FAFSA.
  • Bring your completed paper FAFSA to the Financial Aid Office for electronic submission.

Step 4. Wait for a Response

Depending on the method utilized to submit the FAFSA, you should receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) in approximately three weeks. The Financial Aid Office will contact you by mail if additional information is needed to complete your file.

Step 5. Award Notification

The Financial Aid Office will send you an award letter after your financial aid file is completed indicating the amount of Pell Grant you are eligible to receive. An official award is not available until your enrollment is finalized and verification completed; however, you may contact the Financial Aid Office for an estimate at any time after providing all requested information.

Back to top


To receive aid from the Department of Education student aid programs, you must:

  • Demonstrate financial need
  • Have received a high school diploma or an equivalent such as a General Educational Development (GED) certificate or completed secondary school in a home school setting
  • Be enrolled as a regular student seeking a degree or certificate in an eligible program.
  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
  • Sign the statement of educational purpose and a certification statement on overpayment and default included in the FAFSA
  • Register with the selective service if required
  • Make satisfactory progress
  • Demonstrate eligibility

An individual’s financial aid eligibility calculation incorporates several components, which includes financial need, the difference between direct educational expenses and family contribution, and earned income from the previous tax year. Family contribution equals parental contribution for dependent students in conjunction with the student’s contribution.


An independent student need not submit parental information on the FAFSA. Under the federal definition, an independent student for 2013-2014 is one of the following:

  • Twenty-four years old (born before 1-1-1990)
  • A veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces
  • Married
  • An orphan or ward of the court
  • One who has legal dependents other than a spouse
  • Through documentation by the Financial Aid Office, determined to be independent by reason of exceptional circumstances


Dependent students are those who do not meet any of the definitions of an independent student. Parents of dependent students must submit parental information on the FAFSA in order for the student to be considered for financial aid.


For dependent students, EFC is the sum of the parents’ contribution and the student’s contribution calculated by the federal needs analysis formula. It is the total amount of money a family can be expected to contribute toward the student’s education for the award year. For the independent student it is the student’s (and spouse’s, if any) contribution calculated by the federal needs analysis formula.


A SAR is sent to the applicant a few weeks (approximately three to six weeks) after a FAFSA has been submitted. It provides all the information from the applicant’s FAFSA enabling that information to be reviewed and, if necessary, corrected. It tells the applicant if he/she is eligible to receive a Pell Grant. Carefully check the accuracy of the information, make necessary corrections and respond to any questions and/or special messages on the SAR. Corrections may be submitted by consulting with the Financial Aid Office.


The Financial Aid Office is required by the federal government to verify a percentage of all applicants. The information to be verified may include but is not limited to:

  • Household size
  • Number of students in college
  • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance (Snap, food stamps)
  • Child support paid – if amount indicated in ISIR
  • Tax filers
  1. Adjusted gross income
  2. U.S. income tax paid
  3. Education credits
  4. Specific untaxed income items (Untaxed IRA distributions, untaxed pensions, IRA deductions, tax exempt interest)
  5. Income earned from work
  6. High school diploma copy
  7. Final high school transcript that shows the date the high school diploma was awarded
  8. General Educational Development (GED) Certificate
  9. Home schooled – transcript signed by parent or guardian that lists the secondary school courses completed by the applicant and documents the completion of secondary school education
  • Non-tax filers
  • High school completion status

If selected for verification by the U.S. Department of Education, the Financial Aid Office will issue a letter to the applicant requesting additional information be submitted. Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool by logging into FASFA to transfer your income tax return information into the FASFA. If an amended tax return was prepared, you must order an "IRS Tax Return Transcript” for the tax year required. No disbursement will be processed until verification is complete.

Back to top



  • Apply quickly after Feb 1. Many financial aid programs have limited funding (Oklahoma Tuition Aid Grant) that is awarded to those who apply earliest. The ideal time to apply is as soon as possible after February 1 and before March 1. FASFA applications submitted after March 1st will be accepted. You must renew your financial aid application each year.
  • Submit a completed and signed application form. Your four-digit pin number is the same as your actual signature. Pay close attention to the school year you are applying for when entering your financial aid information.
  • Use completed federal tax return information by transferring the data using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool while processing your FASFA. An award will not be calculated until tax information and verification is complete.
  • Use FAFSA on the Web.
  • Apply for your four-digit pin number.
  • Use Meridian Technology Center’s Title IV school code: 012474.


  • Apply as a married student before you are married. If you plan to file as a married student, you must be married on the date you sign the form. Don’t submit the FASFA before you are married. If you submit your application as a single student, you are not allowed to update your status after the fact.
  • Apply as married if you are separated at the time you submit the application. Even though you are legally married, if you are separated at the time you submit your application, answer “separated.”
  • Fail to include parent income information (dependent students). FAFSA Step 4: If you answered “no” to every one of the questions in Step 3, then you must fill out parent information.
  • Forget to include yourself (the student) as part of the household (dependent students). Always include yourself as part of your parent(s) household even if you didn’t live there during the tax year.
  • Incorrectly report income and assets of parent(s) or spouse. FAFSA Step 2 and Step 4, (if dependent). If you are divorced or separated, list only your income and asset information (including only your portion of taxes paid), even if you filed a joint return. If you are married when you sign the FAFSA, combine you and your spouse’s income and asset information, even if you were not married at the beginning of the tax year. Dependent students don’t forget stepparent income, if applicable.
  • Incorrectly report untaxed income. Use step 2 or 4 to complete these questions. Pay particular attention to cash or any money paid on your behalf not reported elsewhere on this form. If you received money for living expenses from another source that was not reported elsewhere, it must be included here.
  • Incorrectly report educational tax credits and child support payments. Use Step 2 or 4 to complete these questions.
  • Purposely provide inaccurate information. If you purposely provide false information on your federal financial aid application, you are subject to fines and/or imprisonment under the U.S. Criminal Code. State and local laws may also apply in such cases.

Back to top


  • I was married last year and am no longer married. How do I file? You file as divorced or separated and report only your portion of income, taxes and assets.
  • How much financial aid will I receive? You must submit an application before an award amount can be determined. Financial aid depends upon a variety of circumstances including enrollment status, student and student’s family economic condition and assets.
  • What does satisfactory progress mean? All students applying for financial aid must maintain a cumulative grade average of 2.0 “C” or greater, 90 percent attendance and complete an acceptable percentage of the program’s scheduled objectives. A student who does not maintain satisfactory progress will lose financial aid eligibility.
  • My parents are separated (or divorced). Which parent fills out the FASFA? The parent you lived with most during the 12 months. If you didn’t live with either parent or if you lived with each parent an equal number of days, use the parent who provided the most financial support to you during the last 12 months or during the most recent calendar year that you were actually supported by a parent.
  • Since my parents had no income or assets, should I leave the parents’ part of the FAFSA blank or enter all zeros? It is virtually impossible for anyone to live for a year without having some sort of income or spending accumulated assets. If parents have no earnings or assets, they probably had untaxed income from some source. However, if indeed your parents had no income or assets, enter zeros. Then the processor will know you didn’t just forget to answer the questions.

Back to top


Pell Grants are disbursed twice per month on the 15th and 30th.

Students who are eligible for disbursements three working days prior to the 15th will receive their disbursement on the 15th. Students who are eligible three working days prior to the 30th will receive the disbursement on the 30th. For example, if you are eligible on January 7th, you will receive your check on the 15th. If you are eligible on January 14th, you will receive your check on the 30th.

Disbursements will be paid based on the availability of funds from the U.S. Department of
Education after all required information has been verified, a complete student file is established and the recipient is attending class. Each recipient will receive a memo from the Financial Aid Office when disbursement to the student’s account has occurred. Funds in excess of tuition and/or books/supplies previously deferred are paid in the form of a check to the eligible recipient. If there are excess funds, the student will be notified that these funds are available. After receiving notification, a recipient should take photo identification with a signature to the Bursar’s window at Meridian to receive the refund check.


Satisfactory academic progress means that a student is progressing in a positive manner toward fulfilling career major certificate requirements within the stated length of time. To remain eligible for financial aid at Meridian Technology Center, students are expected to progress toward satisfactory completion of a course of study as stated below:

  • Maintain a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 “C” or greater
  • Maintain 90 percent attendance during each disbursement period
  • Complete an acceptable percentage of the program’s scheduled objectives

Enrollment is only verified before the 1st disbursement, which is done by the Financial Aid officer. For subsequent disbursements, satisfactory academic progress for financial aid purposes will be documented at the end of each disbursement period to establish eligibility for the next disbursement period. In the event a student does not maintain satisfactory academic progress for any disbursement period, financial aid will be suspended. Students on financial aid suspension are ineligible to receive financial assistance.

Back to top


This calculator will provide a preliminary estimate of federal and institutional aid eligibility. The estimates are based on the award policies of the 2011-2012 academic year and are subject to change. In order to use the calculator, you will need information about your income, taxes and some other financial obligations. In addition, you will need information about your assets (including savings, investments, home equity, and other assets.)

Net Price Calculator


The information at Meridian's gainful employment page shows the total number of post-secondary students who completed their Career Majors; the number completing within 100% of the normal timeframe; the number who got jobs related to their training; the number who continued on with school (either at Meridian Technology Center or college); the median debt of those students upon completion. Meridian Technology Center does not participate in the federal student loan programs. To our knowledge, no student received loan proceeds from private loans. None of the completers owed any money to Meridian Technology Center when they completed.

Our instructors contacted completers 6 months after they completed the program to ascertain whether or not the students had jobs related to their training. The completion and job placement outcomes are reported to the Oklahoma Department of Career and Technology Education.

Back to top