Bachelor’s degree or appropriate certificate of training preferred. Extensive direct experience may be considered in lieu of degree.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and the designated second language.
Stay up to date on changes in processes, practices and technologies.
Must be proficient in Microsoft Office.
Essential Job Functions
- Check translations of technical terms and terminology to ensure that they are accurate and remain consistent throughout translation revisions.
- Compile terminology and information to be used in translations, including technical
- Discuss translation requirements with students.
- Listen to speakers’ statements in order to determine meanings and to prepare translations.
- Proofread, edit, and revise translated materials.
- Read written materials such as class materials, scientific works, and rewrite material into specified languages.
- Refer to reference materials such as dictionaries, lexicons, encyclopedias, and computerized terminology banks as needed to ensure translation accuracy.
- Translate messages simultaneously or consecutively into specified languages, orally or by using hand signs, maintaining message content, context, and style as much as possible.
- Adapt translations to students’ cognitive and grade levels, collaborating with educational team members as necessary.
- Follow ethical codes that protect the confidentiality of information.
- Identify and resolve conflicts related to the meanings of words, concepts, practices, or
- Adapt software and accompanying technical documents to another language and culture.
- Read, understand and apply policies, regulations, instructions and procedures.
- Pay attention to detail.
- Participate and/or lead workshops.
- Adapt to fluctuating workload and time constraints.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with students and others.
- Ensure students understand (comprehend) class material in English and Spanish.
- Attend lectures as much as possible, read class books in each program.
- Work the hours necessary to assist students to finish assignments, skills and testing as approved by the Executive Director, Career Planning/Career Development.
- Stay in contact with High Schools ESL teachers to assist with any information
- Advocate positive learning environment.
- Submit to Executive Director weekly reports of students names, class and studying subject.
- Report to Executive Director immediately of any problems or conflicts.
- Abide by all policies and procedures adopted by the MTC Board of Education.
- Promote Meridian Technology Center, its programs and employees at every available opportunity.
27. Uphold Meridian Technology Center’s Mission, Vision and Values. Support the culture by living out our values of:
- Relationships – Act in the best interest of others
- Excellence – Deliver superior services
- Innovation – Integrate new ideas with courage
- Integrity – Model honesty and trust in all we do
- Empowerment – Provide the framework and resources to succeed
- Impact – Commit to enrich each life we touch.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Standards of Performance
The Part-Time Educational English/Spanish Translator will be evaluated on the previously listed responsibilities to determine satisfactory compliance.
10-month contract (as needed and determined by student enrollment)