Student organizations are available to all Meridian Technology Center students. Through these organizations you can learn valuable leadership skills, interpersonal skills and employability skills. You may also earn:
- College and continuing education scholarships
- Job-related skills
- Media recognition
- Tools and equipment
- Valuable networking contacts
By participating in a student organization, you will have a number of opportunities to get involved. Meridian Technology’s local chapters:
- Attend seminars and special events
- Compete in local, district, regional, state and national skill events
- Elect officers
- Participate in regular meetings
Additionally, you will be able to develop leadership abilities through the Leadership class and contests such as:
- Job Interview
- Job skill demonstrations
- Parliamentary Procedure/Opening & Closing ceremonies
- Quiz bowls
- Team contests
Business Professionals of America (BPA)
Business Professionals of America prepares students to work efficiently not only in an office setting, but also in a wide variety of business situations.
To contribute to the preparation of a world-class workforce through the advancement of leadership, citizenship, academic and technological skills.
Family, Career and Community Leaders of America
Family, Career and Community Leaders of America is a national career and technical student organization for young men and women in family and consumer sciences education.
To promote personal growth and leadership development through family and consumer sciences education. To focus on the multiple roles one may hold as a family member, wage earner and community leader.
Members develop skills for life through:
- Character development
- Creative and critical thinking
- Interpersonal communication
- Practical knowledge
- Vocational preparation
Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA)
Health Occupations Students of America provides a unique program of leadership development, motivation and recognition exclusively for secondary, post secondary, adult and collegiate students enrolled in health occupations education programs.
To promote career opportunities in health care and to enhance the delivery of quality health care to all people.
SkillsUSA is a partnership of students, teachers and industry representatives working together to ensure America has a skilled workforce.
To provide quality educational experiences for students in leadership, teamwork, citizenship and character development. It builds and reinforces self-confidence, work attitudes and communication skills. It emphasizes total quality at work: high ethical standards, superior work skills, life-long education and pride in the dignity of work.
Leadership training is critical to the success of a student organization. It is important to recognize that leadership development is not a single event but a process developed over time. The Leadership Class is a program designed to develop school and community leaders. The Leadership Class is a program to identify students with the desire and characteristics to become leaders.
Activities take place throughout the school year to build leadership and teamwork skills, develop ambassadors for Meridian Technology Center and recognize the best and brightest future leaders. Students will develop an understanding of their roles as student organization officers; take part in leadership and teamwork building activities; develop presentation techniques; volunteer in the community; meet legislators, community and school leaders; and assist with special events at Meridian. Participation in the Leadership Class is limited to Student Organization Officers.
- Improve leadership and teamwork skills of Meridian Technology Center students.
- Train Career and Technical Student Organization officers in the duties of their office to include conducting business and general membership meetings, writing agendas, taking minutes, working in committees and speaking in public.
- Change perceptions about the type of students who attend technology centers.
- Enhance the educational experience of outstanding students at Meridian.
- Educate students about all Meridian programs and the CareerTech system.
- Develop ambassadors for Meridian who will serve as a resource for marketing at Meridian and sending schools.
National Technical Honor Society (NTHS)
National Technical Honor Society is the acknowledged leader in the recognition of outstanding student achievement in career and technical education.
To honor student achievement and leadership, promote educational excellence and enhance career opportunities for NTHS members.